POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isosurface problem : Re: isosurface problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 20:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface problem
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 May 2005 13:50:01
Message: <d5tgho$86b$1@chho.imagico.de>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> However, there appears to be a mismatch between the planar faces and the
> curved edges which produces "fault lines" (second picture). I've tried
> upping accuracy and max_gradient to no avail, and I've tried adding /
> subtracting the pigment functions in various combinations - no good. Can
> anyone shed any light on this bizarre artefact?

For a well working displacement you need your base function to be a
correct distance function of the shape you want to displace - as Mike
pointed out your function isn't.

You could for example use the IsoCSG library:

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/pov/ic/index.html

and create a merge of three triangles which would meet this condition (i
think so - have not tested actually). Note using the builtin triangle
function in MegaPOV would make this faster.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______