POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 Feb 2001 01:18:57
Message: <d5kk7tcvc6fc8vcpoi1toteiimldnjg2m3@4ax.com>
On Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:01:10 -0500, Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom>
wrote:

>I think there is a multithreaded version of POV-Ray available (PVM-POV),
>but I don't know much about it, and I don't think it works well with
>radiosity. I don't even know if it does things on a per-image basis, it
>may just distribute different frames to different processors, or give
>different chunks of the image to different processors.

If you mean PMP (PVM MegaPOV), it does work with radiosity. Francois
Dispot was so kind as to keep me informed about the progress while he
and the original PVM-POV author were developing it and from what I've
seen, PMP does a pretty decent job with radiosity. It shares octree
data among the slaves. However, all rad calcs have to be done on
preview stage. Luckily, there are rad options to ensure that.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg