POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MechSim collision question : Re: MechSim collision question Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MechSim collision question
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 3 Apr 2005 06:15:02
Message: <d2ofkf$fo7$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaap wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>
>>I am pretty sure collisions are calculated in all those cases although i
>>can't completely rule out an internal problem at the moment.  To
>>actually tell you why you think they don't occur i would need to see the
>>complete scene.
>

> http://jwstolk.afreehost.net/bolts_mechsim.pov.gz

Sorry for the late reply.

You code does not even run with the current version (immediate
instability, did not check with 1.1 though).  Your models are simply way
too stiff (extremely small masses combined with high stiffness
connections).  You can make it run by changing this but will never get
reasonable movements with this topology.

So the way to go is create reasonable bolt shapes (with a reasonable
mass distribution) and make them soft enough (start with very soft and
increase stiffness until the look good enough, you will have to decrease
time stepping at the same time).  Start with one bolt and see if it
collides well with the environment.  Then add a second one and turn on
mass-mass and mass-face collisions, you probably do not even need the
con-con collisions.

Christoph