POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MechSim collision question : Re: MechSim collision question Server Time
1 Jun 2024 07:42:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MechSim collision question
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Mar 2005 02:00:13
Message: <d289rq$mbn$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaap wrote:
> i'm trying to drop some bolts onto a (growing) pile of bolts.
> (each bolt is in a group{} )
>
> http://jwstolk.afreehost.net/mechsim_problem.png
>
> but:
> collision { 0,0,2 ...} does not seem to work
> (the connection-connection collisions do not happen.)
> collision { 0,0,1 ...} also does not work.
> collision { 1,1,1 ...} still does not do connection-connection collisions.
> i'm using 80000 steps, witch very low speeds, so i don't think it will be
> possible that the connections move past each other within a single step.

I am pretty sure collisions are calculated in all those cases although i
can't completely rule out an internal problem at the moment.  To
actually tell you why you think they don't occur i would need to see the
complete scene.

Note however that your topology is insufficient to accurately simulate
the movement of a bolt.  The approximation is simply too sparse.
Remember: the simulation works by calculating the forces from the
deformations of the bodies it simulates.  If the topology does not
actually deform in the way it would in reality this won't lead to
realistic results.

> (face-connection collisions and face-face collisions also do not work,
> but i think they are not supposed to work anyway)

Where do the docs mention anything about face-face collisions or
face-connection collisions?  The don't exist and are not necessary either.

Christoph