POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MegaPOV HDRI tests... : Re: MegaPOV HDRI tests... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV HDRI tests...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 Mar 2005 12:05:02
Message: <d21g3q$ile$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   Yes, there is reflection, but not as much as on the other one. And
> also the lighting range on the probe from "thekitchen" is still not very
> dynamic... there is excessive light coming from the walls and furniture,
> compared with the light intensity from the window.

That's the case in most scenes - since the light source itself does not
actually turn up in the HDR light probe it will often look too dark.

If you however compine HDRI with conventional light sources, in case of
your kitchen for example place an area light at the window position in
addition it will look OK.  I guess both variants can be useful.

>  > The no_radiosity flag will help to reduce render time when
>
>> combining radiosity with reflection BTW.
>

>   Don't worry, I always save radiosity first with plain pigments: I even
> don't remember my last one-pass rendering... :)

But all samples taken in the final trace will not profit from this.  And
in scenes like this you usually have a lot of in-trace samples taken.

Christoph