POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] : Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vim 6.0 in final beta [OT]
From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Aug 2001 10:21:48
Message: <cvkrotojb21eejsj1q9dctpuqi1d2dso9j@4ax.com>
On 29 Aug 2001 09:07:29 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

<a lot of nice stuff about Emacs>

>  However, these vi editors are just incredibly user-unfriendly. You just
>CAN'T use them right away. It's completely impossible:

I know :) As does anyone who's been using Vim. And also as anyone
who's been using Vim, I know that you may not be able to use it right
away, but if you use it the right way... oh, boy!

* make & run from within the editor
* catch compiler error messages and skip to that line(s)
* jump to and fro tags
* call grep and jump up and down the matches
* char, line & block selection, deletion, cut & paste
* repeat last command (seems simple, but combined with the editing
modes such as insert, delete, change, overwrite etc. it's very
powerful)
* line wrapping & line joining
* auto-space removal & insertion when copying & pasting
* auto-indent (*very* good!)
* etc.

And of course I wouldn't even mention the cons :) You know them
already :)

About the only one I'll mention is that I keep typing 'i'-s in front
of, or 'cw'-s in the middle of everything I edit outside Vim, and I
keep trying to ':w <CR> :mak' my POV scenes in Windows :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg