POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dropsnow Macro Examples (48kb, 52kb & 14kb) : Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb) Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dropsnow Macro Examples (52kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Dec 2004 12:30:01
Message: <cpps79$i46$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> So, the final version, of which I won't do another excessive test. Here we
> have 1700 spheres and 49600 cylinders in a blob, and there are still a few
> places where a cylinder pops up when it should be a sphere. This one already
> required 50 minutes. The point is that even though I could do long and
> excruciating parses with ridiculously high settings, the same effect can be
> achieved by combining a simpler, pure sphere-version with a cylinder-version
> on a less detailed structure.

That one looks quite good.  How do you sample the surfaces - do you just
trace the whole bounding box area or is it some adaptive process?  How
well does it work with some wind (i.e. with the snow coming a bit from
the side and sticking to the vertical parts)?

> OTOH, if you have an admirable piece of hardware as a CPU, the parsing times
> could drop to a level where it might be feasible doing them. But these "ifs"
> pop up everywhere: *if* the PC where much faster, I'd do some Navier Stokes
> Equations in Realtime... ;-)

Note parsing speed is not so much a question of the CPU but of general
system performance.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______