POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : radiosity caustics : Re: radiosity caustics Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity caustics
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Oct 2004 04:50:02
Message: <clsvv3$24e$1@chho.imagico.de>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:

> http://www.gammaburst.net/cg/povray/radcaustics.png
>
> I was surprised by the quality of caustics I got. Notice that the
> refracted images of the surroundings are projected onto the floor. AFAIK
> you can't get this effect with photons.
>
> To get these good-quality caustics, I modified the megapov-1.1
> sourcecode to disable the irradiance caching feature. This causes the
> renderer to take diffuse samples at EVERY pixel. Since it does not even
> try to smooth the results, the familiar radiosity artifacts are
> completely absent. It was slower, but not as slow as I thought it would be.

It will be very slow as soon as you use slightly more complex scenes
because there you will need much more rays to avoid noise in the final
image.  The reason why this scene renders fast is mostly because the
light is fairly uniformly distributed in the scene.  If you try
something like a dark room only illuminated through a window you will
see this.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______