POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1) : Re: Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voronoi pattern - attached files (1/1)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Dec 2003 12:01:03
Message: <cjameshuff-EEEB58.12011128122003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <f0d### [at] tritonimagicode>,

> That looks very nice and offers a lot of interesting possibilities (for
> both textures and isosurfaces).  Could the speed improvements also be
> used for the regular crackle pattern?

Very unlikely. The crackle pattern stores a cache of 125 points in an
array. Running through a BSP tree for those points would be faster than
testing each of them for every evaluation of the pattern, but building
that tree would be much slower than building the array. However, I have
found several other, completely unrelated ways to speed up the crackle
pattern...my updated version is a few percent faster with the default
settings, and up to 6 times as fast with non-0 offset and a metric of 3.
A pure 2D version would also be much faster...it would only need to
handle points in 21 squares, rather than 125 cubes.

My voronoi patch is getting closer to finished...it now detects the case
where all points are in an axis-aligned plane, and switches to a 2D
partition tree. It will still break when there's a mixture of the
cases...not all points coplanar, but a large group of coplanar points.
I'm still thinking about the best way to handle that case...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/