POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Apr 2004 12:41:17
Message: <cjameshuff-EDFF7C.12401225042004@news.povray.org>
In article <408b492e@news.povray.org>, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>    The aggregate was probably imported, but from where, I wouldn't
> know. One of the other 'stones' that was common, was a very 'spongy'
> looking mineral, very light in weight with zillions of holes and
> bubbles in it - I've no idea what that was, but probably an indication
> of intense heat too.

That was probably pumice, formed from lava containing a lot of dissolved
gasses. It can often float due to its low density. It's often used as an
abrasive, either ground into a powder or as solid blocks.

>    Another one was a beige coloured solid stone that smelled of
> sulphur - I really liked this one, but it was the wildlife that I was
> looking for that really interested me, lizards, mice, slow-worms, etc.

Don't know what that was...but native sulfur is often yellow-amber in
color, that might have been an impure form.

>   The fossils were great too. There were plenty of "Devils Toenails",
> with which I would scare the life out of my sister...

Devil's Toenails...trilobites?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/