POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : HDRI, why? : Re: HDRI, why? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI, why?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jan 2003 20:33:47
Message: <cjameshuff-DA9B20.20234505012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e1560f2@news.povray.org>, "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> But with reflections, the docs says "POV-Ray uses a limited light model that
> cannot distinguish between objects which are simply brightly colored and
> objects which are extremely bright" therefore we have the
> reflection_exponent keyword... So that shouldn't work in favor of HDR, but
> I'm not fully certain about it.

The documentation is a bit inaccurate there (just wrong actually, colors
are only clipped at the last stage, after being calculated), reflection
handles values > 1 just fine, and nothing stops you from specifying
realistic values. The problem is that values elsewhere are usually
specified in the range [0, 1]. The reflection_exponent feature is a
simple hack that modifies the calculations unrealistically to compensate
for inaccurate settings.

There is nothing HDRI does that existing features couldn't do with
greater physical accuracy, it just does it with less render time and
scene/lighting setup. Instead of building and rendering a detailed and
painstakingly adjusted scene, you use an existing high dynamic range
image which has samples of the data you would have to compute, and
interpolate that data.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/