POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie question about the light_source function. : Re: Newbie question about the light_source function. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie question about the light_source function.
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Nov 2003 14:37:27
Message: <cjameshuff-D6C03B.14363107112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <omlmqvk93bqkfmkrvg6umk9mhu3k1rm7iq@4ax.com>,
 Marie <pen### [at] myrealboxcom> wrote:

> Since I am a newbie, I don't know what I have done. So if there's something
> really stupid that I have done, please bare with me, and please point out my
> mistakes.

You have a lot of lights, and they are all using full-brightness colors.
Colors are composed of 3 float values, one for each of red, green, and
blue. Although internally their range is practically unlimited, they are
clipped to the range [0, 1] for output. A value of 1 is full brightness,
and going higher will not have any effect. If you have 100 green lights
and 2 red lights, it won't matter how much more brightly lit in green
the surface is. A point lit with < 2, 100, 0> will appear to be < 1, 1,
0> yellow. Basically, you just need to drastically reduce the brightness
of your lights, and probably should use distance fading as well. And you
should seriously look at whether all those lights are necessary...it
looks like you may be trying to make area lights.

> PS: Sorry for the cross-posting of this message. I don't know exactly which
> newsgroup this message really belongs to.

This group (povray.newusers) is the correct group for this kind of
question.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/