POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Apr 2004 11:25:48
Message: <cjameshuff-D177D8.11265419042004@news.povray.org>
In article <4081ceec$1@news.povray.org>,
 Dan P <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> > The Earth doesn't really add anything by radiosity alone so I'll add a light
> > source to it.
>
> Right; it's too far away.

Distance has little to do with it, it is the area of sky covered and
brightness per unit area that counts. The diameter is about 3.6 times
that of the moon, the sky area covered is almost 13.5 times greater. The
moon's albedo is less than Earth's, between 7% and 12% compared to 30%.
(The lunar surface reflects light preferentially in the direction it
came from, so it appears brighter when nearly full.)

This all means that Earthlight is much brighter than moonlight. It's
still very little in comparison to direct sunlight, but it can
contribute to shadowed areas if the viewer's not looking at a bright
object, and will be very significant at night on the near side. And it's
practically all due to radiosity, diffusely scattered sunlight, though
an area light might be more accurate than any but very high radiosity
settings.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/