POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Rational Fear [115kb] : Re: A Rational Fear [115kb] Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Rational Fear [115kb]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Nov 2003 11:32:33
Message: <cjameshuff-D03350.11322301112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fa206ea@news.povray.org>,
 "Darren Hewson" <dar### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Nope, there is no ambient lighting in the scene, all ambients are set to
> zero already.
>
> However there was fog in the bottom of the shaft, this was causing a loss of
> contrast all over the scene (must have been a small but noticeable trace
> even though the camera is a long distance away from the fog) . I've removed
> the fog and the result is attached.

Hmm, it still looks very flat, and much too evenly lit for the lighting.
And though I see dark areas on the stairs, the railing looks like it is
glowing. One thing that would help is some granularity and variation in
the stair pigment, to make the edges more distinct. And...are you using
light fading? That would help. Scattering media, too...fog won't give a
very realistic result in an area with so many shadows.

Also, shouldn't the steps be more perpendicular to their anchor point in
the walls? Though this offset does give an interesting visual effect.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/