POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : bicubic interpolation patch : Re: bicubic interpolation patch Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:34:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic interpolation patch
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jun 2003 09:59:01
Message: <cjameshuff-CB2C62.08504112062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3ee7f5f8d02fbf4518ccf4f70@news.povray.org>,
 "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> >  Mipmapping is a technique to avoid these moire artifacts.
>
> NO NO NO! Not mip mapping in POVRay! Mip mapping ruins the image. Whenever I
> play any of the Quake-based games, I turn it off. I think things look a lot
> better without it. I'd rather have the shimmering, than the blurriness.

Mip-mapping is simply a way to more cheaply do supersampling. Small
details can not be represented by the pixels, so the details in each
pixel are blended together. The final image has more information, not
less, and is a more realistic representation of what the eye or a camera
would see. You might as well be ranting against the use of antialiasing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/