POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 patch now available Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:00:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2 patch now available
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Jul 2003 12:29:16
Message: <cjameshuff-C46395.11231219072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3F193F21.DC20B444@gmx.de>,

> "In what way is the blob2 better than other solutions (existing blob shape
> and isosurface blobbing solutions) and how does the patch accomplish
> this."

Existing blob shape: the blob2 object is more flexible (having more
component types), and uses a different falloff function that gives
smoother blobs. Look at the pictures I've put up demonstrating the
difference. The old blob looks like lumps covered in goo, the blob2
looks like it's just the goo.

Isosurfaces: the main advantage is that it is faster. It uses
optimizations that can't be done in even a hard-coded isosurface
function. For example, it collects the components that influence a ray,
and uses only those when searching for the intersection. If you have a
blob2 with hundreds of components, but only two components affect the
current intersection being tested, only those two components will get
evaluated.

In addition to this, the blob2 uses this list to automatically figure
out the beginning and end of the interval to check for intersections.
Not only do you not have to specify a container, the blob2 algorithm
comes up with more accurate bounds than you could specify anyway, using
the bounding shapes of individual components.

It also seems to give smoother results with low accuracy. Artifacts do
show up, but the isosurface shape gives a more visible "stepping". This
may just be an illusion, a bug with the isosurface, or something I'm
doing with blob2 that the isosurface doesn't. It might be an effect of
the interval checking mentioned above, it is like having a more
irregular container.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/