POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) : Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Jan 2004 07:55:10
Message: <cjameshuff-ADDABB.07552613012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <40034b23$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress>
wrote:

> > Unfortunately, POV clips the colors before it combines them, rather than
> > afterward...to antialiasing, rgb 20 is the same as rgb 1.
>
> You mean fortunately. POV-Ray does this in the mathematically correct way.
> Antialiasing is a method of making an image with finite resolution appear as
> though it has infinite resolution. If POV-Ray did not do it this way, then
> extremly bright objects which are *large* (such as a sphere with color rgb
> 20) would look very aliased.

No, do I mean unfortunately. Clipping before antialiasing is the wrong
way to fix this problem. Small, intense sources get completely wiped
out. Antialiasing supersamples the scene, not some virtual model of an
image file in a format that's limited to a tiny dynamic range.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/