POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie question about the light_source function. : Re: Newbie question about the light_source function. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie question about the light_source function.
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2003 10:28:30
Message: <cjameshuff-988605.10271708112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fac85b4@news.povray.org>, "gonzo" <rgo### [at] lansetcom> wrote:

> That's the best explanation I've seen yet of light_ source output, thank
> you.  My question is, what does fade_power do?
>
> If I have a light_source with <7.5,5,1> it's output is white,  however using
> a light_source of <.75,.5,.1> with a fade_power of 10 & fade_distance >
> distance_to_camera, it's output still looks amber.

Your < 7.5, 5, 1> light source only *looks* white when shining on a
surface where the reflected color is >= < 1, 1, 1>. Internally, it is
really < 7.5, 5, 1>, and avery dark surface, thick media, or other
circumstances can give visible effects from these high light
intensities. Distance fading is pretty self-explanatory: it makes the
light fade with distance.
http://povray.org/documentation/view/172/#s06_05_07_09

So with a fade_distance of 1 and fade_power 2, the light intensity from
your < 7.5, 5, 1> light source at a distance of 5 units will be:
< 0.576923077, 0.384615385, 0.0769230769>

A fade_power of 2 is most realistic (approximating the inverse-square
law), 10 doesn't correspond to any real-world effect. And fade_distance
is just used to control the falloff rate, it has nothing to do with the
camera position. It is really the same as adjusting the brightness of
the light, though it is not implemented that way internally. The
distance given to fade_distance is the distance where the light is at
the specified brightness, it decreases with distance from there, and
increases as the distance drops below fade_distance. (the documentation
appears to be slightly incorrect about this: only the ratio of
distance/fade_distance matters, not the size of fade_distance in
relation to 1)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/