POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Unscientific POV Ray 3.5 on G5 tests : Re: Unscientific POV Ray 3.5 on G5 tests Server Time
5 May 2024 19:44:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unscientific POV Ray 3.5 on G5 tests
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Oct 2003 22:49:16
Message: <cjameshuff-90A973.22471024102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f94c90681b0262316ba2f280@news.povray.org>,
 "Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote:

> I'm surprised the IBM compiler didn't help more; I had high hopes for
> it with POV-Ray after seeing a presentation. Like you, I thought POV-Ray
> used a lot of double-precision floating point, so the G5 should be a
> perfect match. Maybe there's some special switch that will make a big
> difference. Do you know what "-qalign=natural" does?

Well, AFAIK, the G5 does have some improvements in that area, but its
main improvements are elsewhere. And it could have been something with
the settings chosen.

> I was feeling sorry for you until I checked your website and found
> you cheat :-) and render on a 2400+ Athlon! Nice solution; I had
> been looking at an Athlon machine to replace my Mac before they
> announced the G5's. I'll probably still get a G5, but I'd hoped for
> better POV-Ray performance.

Hmm, G4 iBooks are out now...
Despite the differences in processing speed, I definitely spend more
time on my Mac. Internet access is almost exclusively done on the Mac,
and early prototyping of programs or simple programs that don't need
much processing power.
The ssh script works, but has a bit too much lag, slowing down quick
edit-render cycles. I've been doing most stuff locally lately.

> The benchmark page shows a 2400+ running an XP optimized version
> at around the same time as a 2GHz G5. Have you tried the benchmark
> on your machine?

Yes, but I don't remember the results. It took around 25-30 minutes, as
I recall.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/