POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Re: Somebody Help Me... : Re: Somebody Help Me... Server Time
7 May 2024 22:42:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Somebody Help Me...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2003 21:33:53
Message: <cjameshuff-86AA20.21292302032003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e60dc90@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> There shouldn't be an application menu of the kind that currently exists.
> The same goes for preferences.  Remember that menus convey actions, not
> concepts.  Do you "application" preferences or do you "edit" preferences for
> example?  Sure, by concept preferences are an application property, but by
> action you edit them.  hence they belong into the Edit menu.

File. Special. Apple. Window. Web browsers often have things like
History and Bookmarks.
Menu *commands* convey actions, and even that is a general rule, with
exceptions (such as the Window menu...but you probably don't like that
either). Preferences belong in the Application menu, putting them in the
menu containing document editing commands never made sense to me.

> for tasks that they took Mac OS 9 users 33 minutes and Mac OS X users 37
> minutes to complete on average (7 and 12 users respectively).  That is a
> "only" 12% difference, but on a full 8 hour workday is almost one hour of

7 OS 9 users and 12 OS X users, at completely different locations? 4
minutes difference? That study doesn't show anything about the usability
differences.

> lost productivity!  The test involved a website used with IE (because it was
> available on both systems) and viewing downloaded data in Excel and
> Acrobat...

Ugh...IE under OS X is a slow piece of crap.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/