POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nebulae (not a Friday abstract!) (23+19+20 KB) : Re: Nebulae (not a Friday abstract!) (23+19+20 KB) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nebulae (not a Friday abstract!) (23+19+20 KB)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Feb 2004 19:00:22
Message: <cjameshuff-8688CF.19010321022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40376b93@news.povray.org>,
 "Nickj" <nad### [at] yahoocouk> wrote:

> There's not really much photorealism in astro photos as apart from the
> optical ones they all use false colours anyway. Perhaps these use a
> different colour table to most but that's allright!

Technically, most are as "photorealistic" as any other color photo, we
just lack the technology to properly display them and the proper senses
to perceive them. Most astronometric photos simply use each frequency as
a different color channel...for example, infrared as red, the green
shade the eye responds most strongly to as green, and ultraviolet as
blue. Or green, ultraviolet, xray, or microwave, infrared, ultraviolet.
Or they will use the strength of a set of emission lines...hydrogen,
oxygen, carbon, etc. Images where they map a single intensity to a color
map usually aren't as visually interesting or attractive.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/