POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:36:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Apr 2003 17:10:27
Message: <cjameshuff-76555B.17084129042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3EAC58E7.7AE6A1B5@gmx.de>,

> Well, you need a function to select whether the low or the high resolution
> map is used at a certain position.  To avoid problems with the root finder
> you will need to  create a smooth transit between the regions.

One idea I've had for this is some kind of prioritized object list.
Basically, it would be an ordered list of objects which POV would go
through until it found an intersection or ran out of objects. In this
case, higher resolution landscape models would be higher priority, while
larger area, lower detail models would have lower priority. Close to the
camera, the high res one would be hit, and the others ignored. Further
from the camera, the high res one would be missed, but a lower res
version would be there.
There might be some unexpected shadows at the transition point, but they
should be minimal.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/