POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 patch now available Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:34:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2 patch now available
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Jul 2003 20:18:54
Message: <cjameshuff-752CEB.19115822072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f1db4da@news.povray.org>, Wolfgang Wieser <wwi### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> Well, I was actually waiting for someone to come up with a better
> blob because each time I model some blob object, I was unhappy with
> these somewhat ugly lines caused by the linear falloff function.

This seems to be a common misconception...the blob falloff function is
not linear. The function given in the documentation is:

strength*(1 - (distance/radius)^2)^2

The problem is that it has non-0 second derivative when distance/radius
equals 0, which is at the very edges of the blob components where the
function gets chopped off. Because of this, while the surface is
continuous, it has abrupt changes in curvature. The function I used for
the blob2 object is:

((6*r - 15)*r + 10)*r*r*r

which is equivalent to:

6*r^5 - 15*r^4 + 10*r^3

with r = distance/radius in the first equation. It has a second
derivative which is 0 at r = 1, and seems to give a more fluid, less
chunky looking shape as well. This function actually comes from a recent
update to the Perlin noise algorithm which fixed a similar problem that
resulted in grid artifacts.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/