POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:43:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Apr 2003 17:33:26
Message: <cjameshuff-5B25E3.17312030042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3EB### [at] freefr>,
 Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

> > Sorry, but that looks like a very bad design. True persistent variables
> > would be much cleaner and more useful.
>
> 	Do you mean this by looking at the code or just by the fact I did
> so on an object basis ?

Neither, I am talking about the syntax. Something like:
#persistent Name = Value;
would be better.

> In my patch I only wanted to have something that
> works for the particular object I'm using, since in general it did not
> work in MegaPOV. In my case it's not meant to be of general use, but of
> simple use like a single keyword to add in the object definition.
> 	My feeling is that essentially only mesh-based objects really
> need some persistent feature, since they are usually the largest object
> (am I wrong ?) to parse. But I'd be glad if some general solution would
> be inplemented in official/unofficial POV. Again the persistent things
> in MegaPOV 0.7 were quite buggy, unfortunately.

If it's going to be implemented, it might as well be done right the
first time. Having it be a feature of one type of object is limiting,
inconsistent, and annoying. And your assumption that people will only
want meshes to persist is just wrong...tree generators, particle or
physics simulations, etc.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/