POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Participating media: Schlick phase function : Re: Participating media: Schlick phase function Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:41:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Participating media: Schlick phase function
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Apr 2003 17:12:09
Message: <cjameshuff-430F2E.17120811042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e95a16d@news.povray.org>,
 "Apache" <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I found something on the web
> (http://www.eg.org/EG/CGF/Volume12/issue3/v12i3pp201-210.pdf) and I'm
> curious if the "Schlick phase function" would be of any use for POV-Ray's
> media algorithms. Whenever I read something like "much faster to compute" I
> get greedy heheheh.

Much faster than other methods that simulate multiple scattering. POV
doesn't simulate multiple scattering, for speed reasons.

From what I can tell at a glance, this paper involves a preprocessing
computation step similar to media photons or radiosity, followed by
something similar to a standard raytracing media algorithm at render
time. It is most likely quite a bit slower than the equivalent in POV,
though more accurate.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/