POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Participating media: Schlick phase function : Re: Participating media: Schlick phase function Server Time
1 Jul 2024 03:56:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Participating media: Schlick phase function
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Apr 2003 22:20:31
Message: <cjameshuff-274C5B.22203012042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e988cf3$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Apache" <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I've always been interested in the light-bleeding (a bit halo like) effect
> that one can sometimes when there is something in the air (like dust or smog
> or fog or whatever). At this moment the effect of media is only in direct
> light. (Except for radiosity that takes media into account).

The effect is minimal in most situations, it is only really visible when
you have a thin, bright beam or unusually dense media. One thing that
might really benefit is fire/smoke, with the smoke reflecting light from
the fire. The effect isn't useless, and will probably be implemented
eventually, but it isn't extremely useful and ordinary single-scattering
media is still slow.

> I would be very interested if media would be able to take radiosity or
> scattered light into account! I won't mind if it's slow, I'm very patient!
> (Most of my renders take more than days heheheh)

I thought you were interested in it for the increased speed...

Anyway, I've been looking at the paper a little more, and it looks like
the Schlick function is a separate enhancement from the rendering
algorithm, having a similar curve to the Henyey-Bernstein function while
being simpler to compute. It might give some speed increase, though I
would bet only a small one because the lighting calculations have a
greater speed impact in my experience.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/