POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Apr 2004 19:09:14
Message: <cjameshuff-253827.19080523042004@news.povray.org>
In article <40889a54@news.povray.org>, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

> > We've been there, remember? ;-)
>
>     Heh, yes, I think I was about 6-7yo, cross-legged, wearing grey
> shorts, grey socks, in our sports-hall, watching a black and white TV
> when they touched down. A nice memory.  :)

Er...well, I didn't mean personally remembering the landing (I wasn't
even alive yet), but remembering that we have landed.

> <http://www.union.edu/PUBLIC/GEODEPT/COURSES/petrology/moon_rocks/7422
> 0.h
> > tm>
>
>     Aargh! 404 even when pasting the URL directly.

Damn...try this:
http://tinyurl.com/34weg

>  Yes, I used to walk our defunct railway lines when I was younger, and
> believe that I found samples of magma - I'm not sure, but that was
> what I was told. It was a dark substance with a golden
> sheen/iridescence to it, but it definitely looked molten and was round
> in shape when solidified. It was very 'glassy', and would break in
> half very cleanly, leaving a very reflective surface. I don't know if
> it was magma, it could have been anything native I guess, but I
> wouldn't know what.

Technically, magma is the still molten stuff under the crust. It becomes
lava when it leaks out onto the surface, and some form of igneous rock
when it solidifies. Solidified lava is often called just "lava rock".
What you describe sounds like some kind of obsidian (volcanic glass)
rich lava rock.

>    I found many shell fossils too, if that's a clue?

Shells are found in sedimentary rock, lava rock is igneous. Though it
could be from lava that flowed into sedimentary rock, or sedimentary
rock formed from ash and volcanic debris falling on a body of water.
Perhaps beach sand partially melted by lava? (That would explain the
glassiness and the shells.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/