POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : bicubic interpolation patch : Re: bicubic interpolation patch Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:39:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic interpolation patch
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jun 2003 09:55:11
Message: <cjameshuff-178958.08465112062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee7479b$1@news.povray.org>,
 Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I don't think so. It would be correct for a reflection on a plane, but
> totally wrong for a reflection on a small sphere.
> To make it correct the 'width' of the ray would be needed, and to
> calculate (an approximation of) this, the curvature of the reflective/
> refractive surface at the intersection point would be needed.

You need to track the ray footprint, it's called differential ray
tracing. If I remember right, Ron Parker was talking about this a few
years ago, but never got it added to POV.

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/trd/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/