POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:35:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Apr 2003 20:24:42
Message: <cjameshuff-1262BA.20225829042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3EAEFE17.CED34C9A@gmx.de>,

> Now you missed my point :-) I was not talking about meshes at all -
> isosurfaces have the strong advantage of much lower memory use (only 16
> bit per data point - this is quite unbeatable in comparison to a mesh) and
> really renders quite fast in this case.

How? You can't base an isosurface on a mesh (right now, at least), and
what do you mean by "data point"? Are you talking about isosurface
height fields? Height fields have their own disadvantages compared to
mesh landscapes...no overhangs, etc. And there is a built-in primitive
which will render much faster. Isosurfaces can avoid the overhang
problem, but you have to add a procedural component which means the
height information will only give general shape. The speed gains of a
mesh or height field could be very significant.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/