POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) : Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing problems (3 images, 11k,15k,12k)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:51:39
Message: <cjameshuff-0C7090.13515613012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <400409cc$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress>
wrote:

> Because they're too small to be accurately represented in the final image
> resolution. Just because they're intense doesn't mean they should become a
> full pixel in size.

That is exactly what it means.

> This could end up producing different results depending
> on what the final resolution is.

Correct. For instance, a star, which is essentially a point light, will
be a bright point...not a ball or empty space.

> Antialiasing supersamples the scene, but it must take into account that the
> final output will have limitations such as a finite dynamic range. The
> mysterious "format" you refer to is the same as the actual format of the
> final image, which is important. By clipping before averaging, anti-aliasing
> produces the effect of rendering at an infinite resolution and then resizing
> smaller, which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

No it is not. The purpose of antialiasing is to prevent aliasing
artifacts by supersampling the scene, *not* to emulate reduction from a
larger sized image.

> I admit that I do see some logic in your argument - clipping before
> averaging does feel artificial to some extent.

Because it *is* artificial.

> However, the fact that
> clipping after averaging would produce jagged edges on bright objects causes
> me to believe that it would be much more useless than clipping before
> averaging.

Which wipes out small details which *should* be visible.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/