POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 18:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Feb 2000 11:23:36
Message: <chrishuff_99-FBFD91.11250426022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B7FCCF.A533B213@merlin.net.au>, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau>
wrote:

> I didn't mean not to include the z-depth option, just that using planar
> mapping would make a lot of uses difficult.  Maybe reuse the mapping
> keyword here, I could see at least spherical, planar and cylindrical
> being useful.

Not planar mapping, spherical mapping. Distance would be z, and
vertical/horizontal angle would be x and y, and the center would be the
light_source position. It would be like wrapping the pigment around the
sphere, except the color also varies depending on it's distance from the
center of the sphere. You would have to tile it in some cases(many times
the tiling wouldn't be visible), but I don't see any other way of
mapping 3D space around a point. Maybe also cylinderical mapping.

> Here's something if you had z-depth.  Use a density file as the pattern
> and project 'solid' holograms into media with shadowing from intervening
> objects :)

That is an idea...although I guess it could also be done with scattering
media using the density file and a plain colored light, at least as long
as no other lights interact with it.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom