POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shield Technology [19KB] : Re: Shield Technology [19KB] Server Time
3 Oct 2024 09:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shield Technology [19KB]
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Feb 2000 18:55:10
Message: <chrishuff_99-F99178.18560203022000@news.povray.org>
In article <3899a328@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote:

> It's too slow for any practical use... at least on my computer. It chugs
> away at very slooow speeds, like the old media. Can't you do something to
> speed it up? I haven't been able to finish any of the demo files included.

What processor are you on? I have a 266 MHz PowerPC G3, and although it
was slow, it wasn't too slow to be practical.
The demo scenes had a very high samples value, a lower value can lead to
graininess but is much faster. Also, there are 3 different methods of
shooting the rays: one is very slow for points far from the target
object, but is the most accurate. Another one is faster, but doesn't
give an even distribution of samples. The third one switches between the
other two depending on where the point being evaluated is. It is faster
outside the object bounding box and more accurate inside, but can
sometimes leave artifacts around the boundary between the two types.

And I can't really do anything about the speed...it figures out how far
it is from the parts of the object by shooting a bunch of rays at it.
For simple things like spheres, this isn't a good method(spherical works
fine), and many other objects could be approximated with function
patterns, but it is needed for complex CSG's and other objects.
Someone else who knows more advanced math might be able to find a better
way...

Something I just thought of-you could use the trace function to place
blob components for my blob pattern on the surface of the object. If you
get the placement right, you could get a pretty good approximation of
the proximity pattern. And although the blob pattern is still
un-optimized, it would be faster.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom