POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process suggestions? : Re: post_process suggestions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process suggestions?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 May 2000 17:45:31
Message: <chrishuff_99-F97DDA.16484404052000@news.povray.org>
In article <UcQROZw2W1joV6Ajm0U7uS80aIp5@4ax.com>, Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:

> For what it's worth, here is one example of an S-curve:
>
>     Output = 0.5-(cos(Input*pi)/2)
>
> For this to work, both input and output need to be constrained between
> 0 and 1. It should work with other ranges of values with appropriate
> scaling. The angular unit is expressed in radians, in this example.
>
> This generates an S-Curve, but I'm not sure of an easy way to add
> additional parameters and make it more flexible, without losing the
> "S" shape.

This is certainly "a" S-curve, but I wanted to know if there is a
formula for one which is considered the "standard", official or not...a
possibly better solution would be a polynomial curve, or something
similar to what I posted in .binaries.images a while back, where you
could change it from an S-curve to a straight line to a
backwards-S-curve, by modifying the exponent. This also makes a S shape,
and the version I posted works with "out of range" values.

> This curve is also very similar to a generic representation of the
> response curve of photgraphic film. It would need some modification to
> work as a film response emulator, a subject I raised earlier.

This sounds like it would best be done with the "curves" filter I am
planning, which takes a 3D spline or a color_map for the curve...

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/