POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : media - next problem : Re: media - next problem Server Time
2 Oct 2024 18:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media - next problem
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Apr 2000 13:46:48
Message: <chrishuff_99-F720EB.12491404042000@news.povray.org>
In article <38E930DF.34C53EA2@netvision.net.il>, Lewis
<nle### [at] netvisionnetil> wrote:

> Nice!
> Can you explain?

Ehh, not really, I just chose what seemed to be right, but I will try:

You don't need to use the ratio keyword, as I understand it, it only
affects spotlights and cylinder lights. Since you will have rays of
light coming through the clouds, you need to raise the samples to get
the smaller details.

You had separate objects for the cloud layer and the media container.
This was just unnecessary and harder to adjust, so I put them both in
one container. The only times you would want the media container to
extend outside the cloud layer is when you are attempting a complete
simulation of the atmosphere, and then you would probably want a
separate media for the outer part.

I added double_illuminate to the cloud/media container because the light
is on the other side of it, this illuminates the visible side of the
cloud texture. You can adjust the falloff of the illumination by
changing the brilliance value in the finish.

I also changed the color_map on the clouds to use filtering only(I
rarely use transmit, filter seems more realistic for nearly everything).

I moved the light_source so it was shining toward the camera, this makes
the media show up better(since you aren't using an isometric scattering
model). This is what produces that nice glow where the "sun" is.

Other than that, I just tuned the density and extinction values to look
right.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/