POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Blurred Transparence patch : Re: Blurred Transparence patch Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred Transparence patch
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jan 2000 16:00:25
Message: <chrishuff_99-ECDA8B.16010627012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3890546f@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>   But which way is the correct one? Which one is the physically more
>   accurate?
>   It sounds to me that it's more physically accurate to make the blurred
> reflection to depend on the ior. I may be wrong, though.

I am assuming you mean blurred transparence. :-)

Neither one is really more correct, since an object with high ior can
have very little blur and an object with low ior can be very blurry.
Just think of the blur amount parameter as controlling the amount of
blur, not directly controlling the size of microscopic facets or bumps.
As it is, the image is correct-the ior affects what gets blurred(which
part of the scene behind the object is visible), just not the amount of
blur.

It is just much easier to control when the amount of blur isn't affected
by the ior. If you decide to lower the ior after you have the blur
amount just right, you don't want to have to raise the blur amount to
compensate. And you can have an object with a neutral ior still be
blurry, which is probably a little bit faster rendering than one with an
ior.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom