POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strang texture behavior : Re: Strang texture behavior Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strang texture behavior
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Feb 2000 15:50:33
Message: <chrishuff_99-E038CB.15520328022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38BB0F3D.80773554@home.nl>, Remco Poelstra
<rjp### [at] homenl> wrote:

> I have once tried to make the roof of a temple of real tiles, but it
> needed 136 Mb of memory to parse. So I'm not going to do that again. :-(

136MB...how many tiles did this roof have?!?

A couple possible ways I can think of to get around this:
1: Use mesh objects for the bricks. Since you probably aren't going to
use CSG on them, they should work fine, and meshes can use memory more
efficiently when you have multiple copies of the same mesh.

2: Use an isosurface. It should be possible, without too much effort, to
make a row, or an entire wall, out of a single isosurface object. This
has the advantages of being very flexible and efficient in terms of
memory, but would require some knowledge of math and the isosurface
object, as well as an unofficial version supporting the isosurface(like
MegaPOV). It might also render considerably slower.

> And the brick pattern is good enough for the animation I'm creating.

In many cases it would be more efficient to use the brick pattern, in
those scenes only detail-fanatics like me would use separate bricks. :-)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom