POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : 2 different ways to "trace" on HF in M.P. [~645KB Mpeg1] : Re: 2 different ways to "trace" on HF in M.P. [~645KB Mpeg1] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:34:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2 different ways to "trace" on HF in M.P. [~645KB Mpeg1]
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Apr 2000 13:10:48
Message: <chrishuff_99-DB66CC.12134021042000@news.povray.org>
In article <38ffd58d@news.povray.org>, "Mark Wagner"
<mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> I've been working on the same thing for a fly-through of the Grand
> Canyon, and I've been running into the exact same problem.  My
> solution is to use the average of four successive
> positions/orientations to determine the camera placement.

I haven't looked at the source, but I did something similar a while ago,
with spheres flying over a height field instead(the camera was
stationary). I did a simple particle simulation: the spheres had mass
and were affected by gravity, and they used multiple trace() calls to
simulate a repulsion effect from the height field. The spheres followed
the depressions in the height field, like water running off of it.

You could also make some kind of "fuzzy logic" system, maybe specify a
preferred height which the camera would try to stay close to, and only
move to avoid collisions.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/