POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process suggestions? : Re: post_process suggestions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process suggestions?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 May 2000 08:40:19
Message: <chrishuff_99-DA0148.07432601052000@news.povray.org>
In article <390d4e69$1@news.povray.org>, "Simen Kvaal"
<sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote:

> I saw your test images of the find_edges-filter. That one is very
> useful, although what _I_ personally miss is the ability to make the
> image look more like a wire-frame-model. I have developed an
> algorithm (well... not actually... actually not at all...) that might
> work: One takes the depth information and interprets that as a graph
> of the two coordinate-axes, thus implying a function depth(x, y). The
> natural place to put such a "wire-frame-line" would be where this
> function have "breaks", kinda like discontinuities. (For example in
> the intersection between two spherers.)

Up to this point, it is very similar to the depth edge calculation
method. I take the average difference in depth from the center pixel,
and check for rapid, sharp changes in depth by marking pixels where the
average difference is above a certain threshold. I do something similar
for normals and colors.

> If one takes the gradient of depth(x, y) one obtains a
> 2-vector-field, and taking the norm of that gives g(x, y). Taking the
> norm og the gradient of that function, gives h(x, y). Where this h(x,
> y) takes on very large values, we have a discontinuity in the image.

You lost me here though...somewhere around "taking the norm of a
2-vector-field". And something about taking the gradient of the gradient?

> Another post-process (or is it postprocess?): The ability to make a
> r/b or g/r or whatever anaglyph for use with those 3d-glasses.

As someone else said, this would probably require separate images to be
rendered. The color tinting could be done using color_matrix, and the
images could be combined by using add and multiply with an image_map.
I think something that would be more interesting would be a random-dot
stereogram, or "Magic Eye" stereogram. I have no idea how to do it
though...

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/