POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : In search of plateau-free noise : Re: In search of plateau-free noise Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of plateau-free noise
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Feb 2000 19:06:38
Message: <chrishuff_99-D8B348.19073506022000@news.povray.org>
In article <389e0905@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590"@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

> The "dents" pattern below almost looks plateau-free, although not
> exaclty "smooth" as the ideal function I'm looking for would have.
> "Bumps" has plateaus.  So how are dents and bumps different?

While bozo, spotted, and bumps simply call Noise(), the function for
dents seems to just return the cube of Noise().(I really don't see how
this could be useful when poly_wave and bozo(or bumps, or spotted) could
give the same result...I assume it comes from a version which didn't
have pattern waveforms yet)
Probably the reason it appears to not have any plateaus is the way it
curves near the edge of the plateau. The action of cubing the value
might make it curve so the flat area is almost indistinguishable.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom