POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Feb 2000 15:45:23
Message: <chrishuff_99-CC5674.15464725022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B6E4BC.977FD8A0@merlin.net.au>, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau>
wrote:

> > This might be a good idea. On the other hand, it would reinforce the bad
> > habit of using bounded_by as a kind of CSG...(remember that with some
> > settings POV can override this statement and use it's own bounding)
>
> No no no... bounding has nothing to do with CSG and should'nt be
> confused with it.

That is what I was trying to get at-if bounding boxes chop off pieces of
the object instead of behaving as they currently do, people will mistake
them for a type of CSG more often. This is a bad thing. I don't want it
to happen.

> > If the "use_depth_for_z"(somebody please come up with a better keyword!)
> > feature is turned on, the angles of the initial emission from the light
> > source will be used for the x and y axis, and the distance the ray has
> > travelled for the z axis. This should make things like interference
> > patterns possible.(I wonder what this would look like combined with
> > scattering media and photons!)
>
> Interesting, but I think it should be done the same as sky_sphere
> i.e. the colour comes from the intersection of the ray and a unit
> sphere.

But that would make it a lot less flexible...you wouldn't be able to
simulate the wave-like characteristics of light, for example. It would
be the same as placing a small-scaled sphere around the light source.

Hmm, you could even do a cheap imitation of laser beams without photons:
use the object pattern with two cylinders meeting at a mirror as the
pigment for the light, and use scattering media with isotropic
scattering(this would be important, because although the light would
seem to be constrained to the two cylinders, it's direction would still
be away from the light_source). This would be messed up by shadows, but
it is an interesting possible use.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom