POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Blobby alienfighter : Re: Blobby alienfighter Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:58:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blobby alienfighter
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Mar 2000 16:27:39
Message: <chrishuff_99-B4D0C6.16294522032000@news.povray.org>
In article <cAnZOMmqWb4Wng=Gvj6fTwQ+GoUo@4ax.com>, Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:01:46 -0500, Chris Huff
> <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> >Anyway, as mentioned by Glen Berry, this sort of thing is usually caused
> >by the lens, not the atmosphere.
>
> Actually, this sort of effect can also be easily caused by an
> atmosphere as well as a lens, a window pane, scuffed or dirty
> sunglasses, camera film, a CCD sensor, or the human retina, to name a
> few possibilities. It's just that in a space scene, we tend to assume
> there is no "atmosphere" present.

The only thing I can think of that you missed is window screen. :-)

Basically, any object or substance between the camera and light source,
as well as components of the camera itself. However, I wouldn't expect a
dust cloud to make a lens flare-like shape, it would probably just make
a glow around the light source(unless it was something like magnetized
iron dust in a planetary or solar magnetic field, in which case the
particles might have a similar shape and orientation).

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/