POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : colors and glowing : Re: colors and glowing Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: colors and glowing
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 May 2000 23:03:59
Message: <chrishuff_99-B46AD8.22071909052000@news.povray.org>
In article <39176851.C44A0F73@student.kuleuven.ac.be>, Zeger Knaepen
<ZEG### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> The 6th color-element (glow) would have nothing to do with the actual
> render-process.  The post-processor would use it to check if it should
> add the glow or not.  I think this way is the most flexibel way to
> implement the glowing.  Per-object glowing wouldn't be interesting, I
> think.  Say I have a spaceship with windows.  The windows would be a
> texture, but I would still want them to glow.

Then don't use per-object glowing, use brightness-threshold glowing. The
windows are probably brighter than the surrounding hull, otherwise they
wouldn't be glowing, so set the filter to make things at or above the
"window brightness" glow.(I already have a sort-of-working version of
this kind of effect, though it will be a while before I have anything
useful.)

Or maybe additional information could be patterned and passed to the
post_process stage with some kind of "effect_map". Certainly a better
alternative than adding more stuff to color, where it doesn't really
belong(for one thing, you could have a glow map independant of the
pigment map).

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/