POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Spherical and Cylindrical Lights? : Re: Spherical and Cylindrical Lights? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical and Cylindrical Lights?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 20 Feb 2000 09:11:25
Message: <chrishuff_99-B3368A.09124320022000@news.povray.org>
In article <PZSvOOQW=ePZ5wC7yszhOVhlAGCL@4ax.com>, Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:

> I'd like to have 3-D area lights in the shapes of spheres and
> cylinders, instead of being limited to 2-D area lights in the shapes
> of rectangles and circles (circles are supported in Mega-POV, at
> least.)
>
> So how about it? Would this be terribly difficult to achieve?

Maybe a way to only reorient around a specific axis? That way, you could
use a rectangular area light with the reorient feature set to the axis
of the desired cylinder. From a point within the scene, it would look
pretty close to being a cylinder, you most likely couldn't tell the
difference without the aid of a computer program to compare images.

Spherical sources can already be simulated with the existing reorient
patch and the circular area light patch.

These could also be done with high-ambient textures on illuminated
objects and MegaPOV radiosity, using the radiosity for the lighting...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom