POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : StarFleet Blobs (Very big) : Re: StarFleet Blobs (Very big) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 06:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: StarFleet Blobs (Very big)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Mar 2000 17:15:32
Message: <chrishuff_99-B22CA4.17172011032000@news.povray.org>
In article <01bf8ba4$f9328bc0$f0073ea6@default>, "H. E. Day"
<Pov### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> My personal trick, without which I couldn't make anything, is what I
> call Feathering.
> Note how the powers of the three components add up to the power of the
> sphere you started with.  When rendered with other components this serves
> to greatly smooth the lines between components. The downside, however, is
> rather messy code.

This looks like a good place to use a macro...all that
copy-paste-modifying could be automated.

> You must remember to manually bound your blobs.   To do so put the
> blob in a union {} statement,
> union {
> blob{....}
> }
> and use the same bounds on both.
>
> union {
> blob {....
> bounded_by {...}
> clipped_by {bounded_by}
> }
> bounded_by {...}
> clipped_by {bounded_by}
> }
>
> This will seriously speed the render up!

I think you could use the object keyword instead of union, and get the
same effect(without the warning about only having one object in a CSG).
And I think you might be able to use "hierarchy off" instead of the
wrapper object...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom