POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pbottle (Eid getaway) : Re: Pbottle (Eid getaway) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:53:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pbottle (Eid getaway)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 23 Mar 2000 12:54:24
Message: <chrishuff_99-B15620.12563223032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38D95533.E53482F6@hjp.at>, "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp### [at] hjpat>
wrote:

> The .zip file was 68 kB. Sure that isn't really big. But I just saved
> the bmp file with standard settings (75% quality, no smoothing) from
> xv, and the jpg was only 7.8 kB! That's quite a lot smaller, and I
> can't see any difference between the bmp and the jpg.

And another thing-many readers can display GIF, JPEG, or PNG images by
themselves, but I had to open a separate program, extract the file, and
open yet another program to view the file. It is much easier to just
scroll down. :-)

> I don't know what you did, of course; but I often see jpgs which have
> been created with a quality setting close to 100%. This makes the
> image a lot larger but adds very little in quality for most images.

I usually use around 60-70% quality, I adjust it to fit the image. I
have gone down to 45%, but only once. But the software being used to
compress the file does matter.
And I only use JPEG for web images and newsgroup posts, I prefer to use
PNG, PICT, or TGA. I really dislike those compression artifacts.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/