POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Idea for functions : Re: Idea for functions Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idea for functions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 May 2000 22:55:19
Message: <chrishuff_99-A80DCC.21583909052000@news.povray.org>
In article <39189867.694EAC7F@videotron.ca>, pk <thi### [at] videotronca>
wrote:

> Well...
> there's at least one working free soft basic interpreter(gwbasic,
> though); it's called bywater basic, and it's in C...
> SO, you don't need to write one

Actually, it would have to be rewritten. You can't just take code from
something else and slap it into POV-Ray, even if the code is free, you
have to make sure it is compatible with the POV license. And even if the
code was given to the POV-Team, it would still have to be adapted to
work within POV and a syntax developed for it.
And BASIC isn't the best design choice in my opinion...why add another
completely different language into the POV syntax? It would mostly
accomplish adding program bloat, slow the execution of those functions,
and make it harder to learn. And you couldn't base any of it on current
work, so it would be harder to write the actual code for it.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/