POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Another post_process idea : Re: Another post_process idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another post_process idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Apr 2000 20:01:14
Message: <chrishuff_99-A3CDE4.19035327042000@news.povray.org>
In article <qqm### [at] schlattfmiuni-konstanzde>, Thomas
Willhalm <tho### [at] willhalmde> wrote:

> Mmmh, I don't like the idea of saving a temporary file that has several
> times the size of the final image.

It is better than trying to keep it all in RAM!

> Perhaps you should consider to apply the filter on the fly. I know
> that you need more than one pixel a time for several of the
> exististing and proposed filters. Perhaps it is possible to determine
> which one you need and forget the others.

This would probably be quite difficult...currently, a filter can access
any position in the data "images". To do this, you would have to do it
during rendering, and would probably have to place restrictions on the
possible things the filters can do. Either that, or recalculate the data
as it is required...which could get extremely slow. Most people have
enough disk space.

And what is wrong with a temporary file anyway?

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/