POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : How does pattern work? : Re: How does pattern work? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How does pattern work?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Jan 2000 10:47:31
Message: <chrishuff_99-A0F6DF.10474409012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3878a9bb@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>   I was trying to create a heightfield from a bozo pattern (in megapov
>   0.3), but it looks just plain horrible. What am I doing wrong?

I think you just have the height field aligned wrong, try this:
height_field {
   pattern 240, 240 {hf_gray_16 bozo
      color_map {
         [0 color Black]
         [1 color White]
      }
      scale 0.1
   }
   smooth
   rotate -x*90
   scale <5, 3.8+2, 0.1> translate -<2.5,2,0>
   texture {
      pigment {color Red}
      finish {specular 0.5}
   }
   rotate x*60
}

Remember that a height field's height varies along the y axis.
Also, the resolution you had(20*20) was too coarse to get good results,
so I changed it to 240*240, which is more than enough. Probably less
than 100*100 would be enough with smoothing on.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom