POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) : Re: Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 16:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Apr 2000 11:13:23
Message: <chrishuff_99-A0CD25.10160011042000@news.povray.org>
In article <38F2B256.E12E59E9@aol.com>, "SamuelT." <STB### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> Okay, these are really volume clouds this time. I stumbled on the
> technique today (goofing around at work). I was playing with
> motion_blur, finding ways to exploit its properties. On a whim I decided
> to add the clock value to the threshold of an isosurface. To my
> surprise, it appeared to have volumetric properties. I kept on prodding,
> amazed it was actually creating shadows and stuff. I went with it, until
> I got the render you see before you. I didn't add the clouds to a plane
> density, since it increases the render time.

Try playing with the brilliance value in finish, decreasing
ambient(which probably acts something like emission media), and giving
some transparence to the color(like decreasing extinction in media). The
brilliance will vary the amount of "scattering" dependant on angle. At
least, I think it should, it has in my other tests of this sort.

I never thought of trying motion_blur though(well, I tried it with
isosurfaces, and even used it to control the threshold, but never
thought of doing clouds or smoke)...these might behave differently under
those circumstances.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/