POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Another post_process idea : Re: Another post_process idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another post_process idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 May 2000 08:53:52
Message: <chrishuff_99-9E6F43.07570203052000@news.povray.org>
In article <390ff368@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> : 5 color components per pixel at 2 bytes each
>
>   You said earlier that the color components are stored as floats.

Of course, that should be 4 bytes.
That would be 15MB for filters which only use color, and 21MB for
filters using color and depth. Not tiny files, but certainly a lot
smaller than 100MB. And since the are *temporary* files, they are gone
when the render finishes.

> : Remember that only the necessary information is saved...
>
>   I was calculating the worst case scenario, where everything is needed.

That scenario is currently impossible to reach, the filters don't exist
for it...and if it was possible, most of them would be wasted anyway,
since some(like depth or normal) would completely replace previously
processed images.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/